Saturday, November 20, 2010

happy sleep: 7 hours a day

Happy Friday/Saturday! I'm up and in on a Friday night when there's a senior pub crawl going on, but I had a long day full of bacteria identification & fixing fly larvae. I didn't get a chance to breathe until 4:30 when I finally crawled back to my room! But I had dinner and relaxed with my new favorite person, who wore the cutest blue sweater and as always, said the most inspirational things, so matter-of-factly.

I've been keeping up such a good sleep pattern lately. This was one of four semester goals, and I am so happy to have established a regular sleep schedule: bed by midnight, up and ready at breakfast by 8, even on weekends. I wanted to read some sleep studies, but besides extreme experiments with sleep deprivation, there are only a few, and many merely observational studies showing correlation and also using self-reports. But many studies suggest seven~eight hours of sleep are sufficient and enough for adults.

I find that I am a lot more awake, peppier, and attentive. Also, my body has adjusted to this sleep pattern as to be able to wake up... without an alarm clock! I accidentally didn't set my alarm this Tuesday but still got up before 8. This may or may not have to do with the fact that I'm out of tetra points- discouraged from buying coffee, or that I've discovered steamers with flavor shots.

My familia admitted to checking in the blog and commented on lack of pictures of myself, so I'm including a picture diary of my today's day as well:
Sipping on bubble tea outside my bacteria lab for a quick lunch. I walked into the student center & they were selling bubble tea! Of course I dropped my plans to get a sensible lunch and went for this tapioca deliciousness instead.

Fixing fly larvae in lab! Every procedure takes 5 seconds, but they're all 10~15 minutes apart. 4 hours in lab probably summed up to 30min~ of actual work, and I got reading & some studying done.

Sweet dreams! Tomorrow our residential college is putting on a neon-themed party. Glow sticks and hot pink shorts? Totally rad.

No comments:

Post a Comment