Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Somewhere: beautiful and poetic.


Picture source
I adore Ms. Coppola’s movies. They have an eloquent and intimate feel to them. The shots are a bit too long, making us feel like we’re peeking into actors’ private moments when they don’t believe the camera is on. In such moments nothing exciting happens, but that may be the beauty of it. I watched Somewhere on my flight back to Houston- I think Sofia Coppola's movies are perfect when you are traveling (see: Lost in Translation)- they convey the emptiness and loss of purpose you may feel when going from place to place, in the most beautiful and poetic way.


There is no real conflict in Somewhere, as there often isn't in Ms. Coppola's scripts. The movie is believable, as if a camera crew landed and filmed someone in the middle of his life. But there is a plot: a Hollywood actor living a fabulous life (although he seems to be going mechanically through the motions) spends a few unplanned days with his daughter in his shiny luxurious life. Watch it for the characters, the beautiful scenery shots, and for the thoughts you'll have while watching the film. Watching this film lets you breathe, you won't be so engrossed in the mystery and action of the film (there is none). Have a date with yourself (with good food) and taken an evening to watch Somewhere to examine your own life along with the movie.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your post regarding Sophia Coppola. As a writer, I look for words that tell a story. I liked the way you described her movie Lost In Translation. I too feel this way about her cinematography. Not only do we share this feeling, but other similarities that are coincidental. I hope it is OK if I follow you from here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I write (and ramble) about my every day life here too, and not always about beautiful things. But of course, you are welcome to read my blog!

    ReplyDelete