Thursday, September 29, 2011

Custom reading list: Have you read...

I love books that come with personal endorsements. Based on what the person knows about you and a quick conversation about what you're in the mood for, you get a story along with a book, and after you are done, there is someone at the end of the book eager to discuss it with you.

A personalized reading list? Best thing ever.
So imagine my happiness when I found out that Houston Public Library provides custom reading lists with its "Have You Read..." program. You fill out a questionnaire listing your favorite (and not-so-favorite) books, preferred genres, tones (sentimental and emotional versus realistic?), what kind of humors you like (wordplay, clever dialogue, bizarre?), content (coming of age, gardens, journey and travel?) plus many more, and Houston librarians will put together a list of books they recommend for you.


Here's what I put down for my reading preference:
Liked: Lolita, Flowers for Algernon, Jeffery Eugenides and Jane Austen (tone)
Didn't like: Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao (for the plot and characters), Jodi Picoult
Would like: Poetic language, socially relevant topics, modern setting, character studies, 250-500 pages

I got a recommendation of fifteen books including:
The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
The Visitation by Frank E. Peretti
Kartography by Kamila Shamsie

Based on the short blurbs that came with the list, many have a sci-fi futuristic feel to them, wronged characters, different identities, unexpected situations, and revealed secrets. I am so excited to start this list, like I got an early Christmas present in September!
What better to do on days with rainy clouds like this? Read!
I am currently reading The Beginners by Rebecca Wolff but I can't wait to get started on my recommended reading series as soon as this tense, haunting journey is over. You don't even need to have a current Houston library card to take advantage of this service. So what are you waiting for?

Today at the gym I waited for a Zumba class to finish before my class and saw an older guy shaking it among the all-ladies club- the best. I need to try it out eventually- it looks like a ton of energetic fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment