Sunday, September 18, 2011

learning to row.

I've been learning another fun skill lately: rowing! The closest boathouse to my house is the Greater Houston Rowing Club on Oyster Creek in Sugar Land, so I decided to sign up for their introductory rowing class.

During our first on-land class, we learned the basic terms, safety precautions, and instructions for the ergometer. Today was our first on-land rowing session, and I was placed in an eight (sits 8 sweepers). You actually face the stern, or the back of the boat, which makes the terminology a little tricky. Port is boat's left (your right) and starboard is boat's right. You are also assigned a number starting from the bow (front) of the boat, and once you are seated, you are called out by that number ("4! Square your oar!").

Since more than half of us were beginners, our boat did not look like this:
Picture Source
Our coxswain, who sits at the stern of the boat and is the only one facing forward, yelled out directions, cheered, made corrections- "you guys look like a crazy caterpillar!".
The Oyster Creek, calm waters

I already have blisters and jammed fingers. But I like this rowing business, and I think I might join the boathouse once I feel more confident in the water. Rowing is a great exercise because it uses the entire body. You use your legs-back-arms sequentially to row- it requires much coordination! Also, I was surprised at how sleek and light the boats were. We had nine people on our boat keeping us afloat on the water, but it was unbelievably light when we carried it back into the boathouse.

In other news, it finally rained here in Houston! It poured on my way to get gas- this is how I remember Houston summers.
free carwash!
A lot of driving this weekend- I picked up kimchi and am still finishing up the grilled chicken bulgogi from H-mart (finally).

No comments:

Post a Comment